According to a report by CMS, CMS paid out more than $380 million in incentive payments through its physician-quality reporting system and electronic-prescribing incentive programs. Despite the payment incentives, 400,000 providers have accepted pay cuts rather than participating in the incentive programs.
A Look at the Numbers
- In 2015, 470,000 physicians and eligible professionals received a 5 % reduction in payments based on their PQRS data
- In 2014, 50,000 eligible professionals received a reduction through the e-prescribing incentive program
- In 2013, 25 million eligible professionals participated in the PQRS program
- In 2013, 377,000 eligible professionals participated in the e-prescribing program
- As of April, 92% of eligible professionals who attested to Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirements cleared the e-prescribing measure
The Meaningful Use incentive program is now the main tool to encourage providers to electronically prescribe. Despite the incentives, providers would rather face penalties than receive financial bonuses.
To read more, click here.